Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homework!

I hope everyone is ready to do homework again!  This week's homework is to go to the resources page of the new website http://www.mtnviewvet.com/resources.html and to read the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior's position statement on punishment, and to watch the two training videos that are currently posted, "What is Clicker Training" and "The Positive Interrupter".  Please let me know when you've done those three things, and tell us what you thought by posting a comment here.

Don't forget!  The schedule and class information has all been moved to the website www.mtnviewvet.com/training only homework and articles will be posted here on the blog.

4 comments:

  1. The articles and videos were very informative! I have taken many human psychology and behavior classes and the same principals apply to animals. In reading the article, we can relate those situations to ourselves. Just imagine, would you rather receive punishment or reinforcement? People AND dogs like to be positively reinforced and will respond better to it for a long period of time (because we can always add more "good").

    That being said, easier said than done. ;-) So what was most helpful to me was the video on positive interruptions...because I am guilty of the "eh eh." ;-) Why didn't I think of this?! Now I will replace the "eh eh" with a whistle. :-)

    Thanks for the suggested resources, looks like a lot of good ones on the new site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights Jessica! Glad you're enjoying the new resources on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the Positive Interrupter Video. I only wish I had watched it when we first got Coal (I mean "short whistle, higher short whistle") instead of just today! Thanks for the great resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to class tonight! Great info...

    ReplyDelete